General Statement of Health, Safety & Environmental Policy
Summit Exploration and Production Limited is committed to fulfilling its duties as an employer to protect the health, safety and welfare of its employees, clients and others visiting its premises who may be affected by its business, and protecting the quality of the environment in so far as reasonably practicable.
We will protect employees and others from reasonably foreseeable work hazards. Every employee is expected to be aware of health, safety and the environmental matters relevant to their position and will be expected to act responsibly at all times, doing all that they can to avoid injury to themselves, others or damage to the environment. It is their duty to read, understand and comply with the contents of this policy and to work in accordance with any training or information they have been provided with.
Health, safety and environmental awareness will be managed to the same high standards as any other activity within our business. Success in this area forms part of achieving our corporate goals. SEPL recognises the fact that a high level of health, safety and environmental practice has positive benefits to the organisation and makes good business sense.
In all its business operations, SEPL commits itself to:
- Identify and fulfil all HSE compliance obligations;
- Promote standards of health, safety and environmental welfare that will, as a minimum, comply with legal and other requirements as well as our own company standards;
- Make available such resources in the form of finance, equipment, personnel and time as are necessary to fulfil this policy;
- Continually improve our HSE Management System so that we enhance our health, safety and environmental performance;
- Provide and maintain appropriate systems to ensure a safe and healthy working environment and to protect employees, the environment and others from harm and to prevent pollution, in so far as reasonably practicable;
- Set and review health, safety and environmental objectives and targets to promote continual improvement;
- Provide all employees with sufficient information, instruction, training and supervision that they require to enable them to work safely, efficiently, and to develop our Health, Safety and Environmental culture;
- Define individual responsibilities for health, safety and environmental matters;
- Provide and maintain a system to ensure that accidents and ‘near misses’ are fully investigated and appropriate action taken to reduce the likelihood of their reoccurrence;
- Encourage full and effective consultation on all health, safety and environmental matters;
- Conduct periodic reviews and revise the policy where necessary to promote continual improvement and to ensure that this policy remains relevant and effective.
- Make this policy easily accessible to all employees. In deciding what is ‘reasonable’ we will take into account business, economic and work constraints but will not compromise on safety.